- Our Power to X production projects will be based on dedicated renewable power sources feeding large scale water electrolysis systems and pressurised storage systems. As the Process Safety Engineer you will participate in the development of the company’s green hydrogen and derived e-Fuels projects, focusing on all the technical safety and engineering aspects of the projects, from early development stage through to construction. You will be responsible for ensuring that the design of all project facilities prioritises safety and minimises risks to all involved project stakeholders and community. This involves working closely with the project’s engineering contractors and equipment vendors to review and validate the safety aspects of the design;
- You will be asked to design safety installations and participate in the development and review of the related safety studies (i.e. safety reviews, risk analysis, explosion and blast analysis, CFD modelling, gas detection and measurements, etc) aiming to approve the engineering documentation, ensure the delivery of safe design solutions and provide guidance on safety to all other involved stakeholders;
- You will define safety standards for the projects, taking into account applicable regulatory requirements and industry best practices, which will serve as guidelines for all project stakeholders, including the engineering team, contractors, and vendors.
- Manage the technical process safety strategy for hydrogen and derivatives plants during all engineering phases (Feasibility Assessment to Detailed Engineering) providing guidance to other project design members;
- Perform qualitative risk assessments based on information from different stakeholders;
- Perform preliminary sizing of fire-fighting facilities, F&G design philosophies and Hazardous Area Classification;
- Support the other technical disciplines in decision making during plant design regarding sizing and location of equipment, buildings and infrastructure from a safety point of view;
- Manage and assess technical safety engineering deliverables including, but not limited to: (i) As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) demonstration, and (ii) Hazardous Area Classification;
- Prepare documentation for local authorities compliant with applicable local standards and regulations, including: (i) Fire- and explosion analysis, and (ii) Qualitative and quantitative risk analysis;
- Review and approve all safety related documentation prepared by third parties, including but not limited to Suppliers and EPC firms, compliant with applicable local standards and regulations;
- Track and gain expertise on applicable technical developments, standards and legislation, in order to ensure the design and development of our projects having safety as the top priority.
- Support and attend on safety workshops such as HAZOP, SIL/LOPA & HAZID, and others;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience in the field of hydrogen production or from working in the oil & gas, petrochemical, carbon capture or energy transition industries;
- At least 8 years of experience and expertise in conducting design of safety installations and risk assessment of large-scale oil&gas, petrochemical or hydrogen facilities, transport, or applications of hydrogen as a highly qualified technical safety engineer in reputable engineering firms;
- Experience in HAZID, HAZOP, SIL assessments, Occupational safety, Hazards and Effects management;
- Experience with “DNV Phast” or “Gexcon Effects” software;
- Experienced with regulations, international standards and industry best practices;
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team for process plant projects;
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal). Portuguese will be a plus.
- Experience with hydrogen systems is a plus;
- Other languages skills (German, Spanish, Italian).
- Hard working, well organized, proactive, with a teamwork attitude, a flexible approach and ability to work under pressure;
- Curiosity and strong interest to learn.
- Engineering degree, MSc, in a relevant discipline.